Scope and Contents
The Pingry History Record Group comprises correspondence, histories, reminiscences, and other documents that convey the over 150-year history of the Pingry School. The George Dimock Correspondence Collection served as a major source of information for the 1961 book, “The Beginning of Wisdom: The Story of Pingry School Elizabeth, New Jersey 1861-1961.”
- 1853 - 2006
Conditions Governing Access
The records are open for research use by members of the Pingry community.
Conditions Governing Use
Single photocopies and digital photographs may be made for research purposes. You may make use of these resources, with proper attribution, for educational and other non-commercial uses only. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Contact the contributing organization to obtain permission for reproduction, publication, and commercial use. These resources may be copyright protected. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
Over 150 years ago, Dr. John Francis Pingry founded a school with a broad vision and roots that extend well beyond academics. Beginning with a commitment to classical education, Dr. Pingry envisioned an institution that would not only foster intellectual vigor, but also instill in its students a sense of honor, strength of character, and a commitment to service both to the nation and the world.
Not long after formally tendering his letter of resignation, Dr. Pingry had the honor and gratification of laying the cornerstone for the school's new Parker Road Campus—located in Elizabeth, like the Mechanic Street schoolhouse and the Westminster Avenue property preceding it—on November 15, 1892. By April 1893, classes were being held on the new three-acre campus, under the leadership of Headmaster William H. "Pa" Corbin, Yale football hero.
In 1926, Pingry’s students took the commitment to integrity to an even higher level by establishing an official Honor Code for the School. The students themselves were responsible for making the Honor Code an integral part of daily life at Pingry.
Prior to World War II, it was evident to the Board of Trustees that the Parker Road Campus was not adequately meeting the needs of an ever-growing Pingry. The cessation of wartime hostilities and expanding enrollment reinforced the urgency of these needs. Facilities were in sore need of repair and maintenance, and the student body was increasing in size.
Another new chapter for Pingry occurred in the 1970s, when the School merged with Short Hills Country Day School, creating a dedicated elementary school campus.
Another major change occurring this same year was the official welcoming of female students, as the girls from the Short Hills Country Day School (which was co-ed) became Pingry students following the merger of the two schools. With the start of the 1974-1975 school year, The Pingry School began considering both boys and girls in all grades for admission, and by September 1974, 101 new girls were enrolled at Pingry.
Another long-anticipated move took place in 1983, when Forms I through VI moved to an even more expansive campus in Martinsville. An idea envisioned by Trustee Bill Beinecke and communicated to then-Chair of Pingry's Board of Trustees, Bob Parsons, the nearly 200-acre new campus in Bernards Township provided space for state-of-the-art facilities, including an almost 25 percent larger school building, more open classrooms, playing fields, tennis courts, two indoor gymnasiums, a large auditorium, and on-site swimming pool.
In 2007, a new facility, The Carol and Park B. Smith ’50 Middle School, was constructed on the Martinsville Campus, providing Middle School students with their own dedicated classrooms and community space.
6.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Arranged into 4 collections:
Oral Histories and Reminiscences, 1853-2006
Unpublished Histories, 1950-1996
Immediate Source of Acquisition
These materials were acquired by the Pingry School Archives from 2017 to 2021 from various departments, faculty and staff, and alumni of the Pingry School.
- History Collection
- Emma Regan
- 2021 September
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
Part of the The Pingry School Archives Repository
131 Martinsville Road
Basking Ridge NJ 07920 USA